Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group rights not following through subfolders

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2003
US
Hello everyone, I've been fighting this for two weeks and I just don't understand it. Here goes: I have a folder that only certain people should access it, say PUBLIC\MATT01. It has many files and subfolders. The group MS2-IEN-MATT01 has rights to it at the MATT01 folder but when you go into the security options in the subfolders the MS2-IEN-MATT01 is not there. There are over 4000 objects in this folder alone. I do not wish to have to put the group into each individual file or folder. THis is what I've tried so far: I have taken the MS2-IEN-MATT01 group completely out of the security and applied. then I've put them back in. It still does not proprogate throughout. I've tried taking ownership of the folder and child objects but I get some access denied on some files. How in the heck do I get the MATT01 group to have access throughout the folder and subfolders and files? Why do i get access denied on most of the files?

You have to set the checkbox to apply the settings to child objects.

Make sure you as the administrator of the domain have full control of the folder,subfolders and files. Go to security option of the folder and highlight "Administors" group from the list box and check off "Full control"

Under the folder's security option, click on advanced.
check off "Allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object"

Also check off "Reset permission on all child objects......"

Also highlight the group "MS2-IEN-MATT01" and click on view/edit.
Make sure the "Apply onto" is set to "This folder, subfolders and files"

I have done all of that and still it does not flow down through the subfolders and files. :*(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back