Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLewisBPM

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
GB
I have decided to start using group policy for my Win2000 network. I have added an OU under the domain I wish to use and set up a test policy.

Just for testing purposes I enabled only a couple of settings, one being hide all desktop icons. Just as an easy visual check.

I added 1 user to this policy to start with, I then tried to log on to a computer with this username but nothing had happened, a couple of re-boots later and still nothing. I then tried adding the computer itself to the policy, re-boot the PC a couple of times take it off the domain and re-add it. try again and still not working!!!

Does anyone have any ideas why this should not work. I have checked what I see as the obvious settings i.e. policy disabled etc..

Kind Regards

Kelley Lewis

Sounds like your primary domain policy is overriding the OU policy. If you pull up the OU properties and then look at the current group policies (for the OU) you want to make sure the OU policy is at the top of the list. This will cause the domain policy to be applied first, then the OU policy.

I'd suggest playing around with the options in your group policy manager as well. See what happens when you change the order in which the policies are applied, what happens when you check the "no override" box, etc....

Good Luck

Jake Garcia

Or make sure your logging into your domain and not the local machine :)

Bill

I am logging into the domain, I see the domain script which maps network drives running :)

I checked the Primary Domain Properties and there is just the default Group Policy file, So I added one change to it and that was to hide the Control panel. Guess what this should have affected all users but it hasn't worked either. Very frustrating!!!

Any ideas

Kind Regards

Kelley Lewis

Is the one user you added by chance an Admin? If so it may not be applied due to some permissions.

Bill

the user needs to be inside the OU.

cheers.

Breakerfall
®º°¨¨°º can you ping me now...GOOD! º°¨¨°º®

This was not an admin! The user is in the OU!

Kind Regards

Kelley Lewis

•apply the "READ" & the "APPLY GP" to the "Authenticated Users" group.
•if necessary, apply the "READ" & the "APPLY GP" to the "domain users" group.

best regards

Breakerfall
®º°¨¨°º can you ping me now...GOOD! º°¨¨°º®

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back