Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy, which snap-in do I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCoda10

MIS
Jan 29, 2002
US
I'm trying to set up group policies on my network. When adding the snap-in in the mmc for group policy it gives me a Default Domian Policy and a folder which contains Default Domian Controller Policy. What is the difference between the 2 and which one should I be making the policy changes to?

Why don't you just use the Active Directory Users and Computers console. Just right-click an OU and select the Group Policy tab. Here's a word of advice if you have multiple OU's. Create an OU called "Group Policies" then create ALL of your policies under this OU. This way all of your policies are in one place. Then you can apply these policies to other OUs.

Ok thanks, but do you know the difference between the Default Domain Policy and the Domain Controller Policy are is one for the local domain controller. Right now I don't have an OU set up any tips on doing that, this is all new to me.

The Domain Controller Policy is a MS default policy which is automatically applied to the Domain Controllers OU. Right-Click the Domain Controllers OU and select properties. Click the "Group Policy" tab and you'll see the the policy there. Click "Edit" from here to view the way it is currently set up. Be careful changing anything on this policy because you can lock admins out of the dc's. For testing just create a dummy OU and stick a test user in it. Post back if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back