Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group policy to install office 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

psasu

MIS
Dec 23, 2003
US
I have copied the installation files for the office 2000 to a shared folder on one of the domain controllers running win2k server and I would like to use the group policy to assign the application to all users on the domain.
Apart from the installation files from the cd,do I need anything other files to complete the installtion

you said: I have copied the installation files for the office 2000 to a shared folder on one of the domain controllers

I think you have to copy it to non DC?

First of all you don't copy the files to the server. You need to run an administrative install. With office it's setup /a. This will install a version of office on a server that you can use to install down to your workstations. And if you use a UNC path; any time your users use a function in office that says "install on first use" it will know exactly where to go to get the files, without having to map a drive letter, when the user uses that function.

To push it down silently you will probably need to create an mst file to select the setup options (Look into Install Tailor from Installsheild, it's free and a good tool to have). Then add the file to your group policy under Computer Configuration/Software Settings/Software Installation -> right click-> add package -> and select data1.msi from your Office 2000 administrative install location. You can also do it on a user by user level by substituting Computer configuration with User Configuration above and selecting assigned instead of Publish. then a user just needs to go to Add or Remove Programs-> Add New PRograms -> Select the package the want to add -> click the add button.

Good luck

-Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back