Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

programerrusuk

Programmer
Jan 28, 2005
GB
Hello,
I have recently installed the group policy manager. I have found it useful and did make some more policies, but how to I make them apply to a certain group. I tried adding the group to the objects user list but the policy did not apply.
Any help appretiated

the gpo needs to be applied on an OU containing the users either directly or an OU parent (or computers, if it is computer policy you are trying to apply)

then you can change WHO will have the policy applied by filtering...
and you can use the group you mention to apply the necessary permissions just to members of the group...
permissions being
Read
Apply Policy

Aftertaf

"Resolve is never stronger than the night before it was never weaker

I have done this by creating a Guest OU and adding the users and groups to it. When I use the GP management console I have it set up for the guest group. They are set to read and apply. When the guest logs on though, none of the settings are applied. Any more idea's
Thanks
(I am using a logon script if that effects anything)

you say your using the quote "When I use the GP management console" how do u get to it??? the best way is to right click the OU and select properties the select tab group policys do you see the policys you set for that OU there.. if not dont think the polocies are applied in the right area of AD>>>

does this help u

It's the same each time with progress. First they ignore you, then they say you're mad, then dangerous, then there's a pause and then you can't find anyone who disagrees with you.

learn something new every day thanks and if i may say a star for you!!!!

It's the same each time with progress. First they ignore you, then they say you're mad, then dangerous, then there's a pause and then you can't find anyone who disagrees with you.

thanks for the star but I still ned help about applying the group policies to OUs. Any ideas appritiated

ok:
a login script, so its user config.

"done this by creating a Guest OU and adding the users and groups to it. When I use the GP management console I have it set up for the guest group. They are set to read and apply. When the guest logs on though,"

you have an OU called Guest. You have domain users in this OU, and they are members of a group you have created, called guest.
you have applied the GPO to this OU and put the permissions for your guest group so that it should apply.

and it doesn't.

1. are the user accounts members of the domain guests group or domain users group?
2. have you checked the event logs on the workstations?
3. what does gpmc's RSOP give you?

Aftertaf

And i will be a day or 2 getting my head around this new layout.... so count me out for a answer for the moment lol

just as a quick question about this gpo management tool...
when i edit my policys and i have a policy for every action: say for instance hide drives is there a way of when the policy opens it opens at the exact place of alteration of the hide drives, so i dont have to search through the policy itself ???

schtek:
i dont think so...

but you can have a view that only shows you the policies actually modified when you open the GPO....

Aftertaf

in response to aftertaf the users are part of a group named "guests.local" (made by myself) and is a member of (the group) of "Builtin\Guests". And for the other two questions I cannot answer at the moment for I am at a confrence away from my network.
Thanks for the help,
i dont understand why the GPO is not applied!

lol
ok

try taking themout of builtin\guests

keep them like any other user for now...

need to first check if the gpo applies to anyone...

guest accounts can sometimes be treated a little differently, tho i know GPO applies to domain guest accounts, cos ive done this in the past.

make another gpo, and change IE's title bar or sth silly like that, to see if it works...

and have a good conference

Aftertaf

update:
installed windows XP on the client machine and all of the GP was working (no SPs), installed SP2 and now the policies dont work again!
Any ideas (other than to migrate to linux, LOL)

I too tried with playing with the policy settings. The policy settings do not come into effect unless and until the GPO is linked and enabled to the Domain and Group and also it works only after I restart the server everytime after I make some changes to the GPO.

check ure gpo refresh rate to domain and try "gpupdate" on server and client if small network say 30 pcs set refresh rate to under 1 hr i have it set to 1 min 30 pc it dont affect performance yet but i will set it back to a hour one day!!!

Problem resolved (again),
They GP was not applied whilst the Desktop Authority script was in place (even when I scripted through GP), so I have removed script logic desktop authority and now the GP works. I need a way to run both the script and the apply the GP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back