Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

122moz95

Technical User
Feb 14, 2006
UG
i have a network with user accounts that are already created and each of the accounts is joined to their respective groups.
i want to know if it is possible to create a group policy template or object that when assigned to a particular OU will automatically place the user accounts into the respective groups designated by the GPO and also map their home directories to a shared folder on the server.
(in here i am not implying batch scripting of user accounts, because that is still tedious. i am hoping that if it is possible to do it in group policy then it is much easier).
thanx

Yes, this could be done.

Basic process is to grab the current user ID and bind to it.

Bind to a group and add members. Mapping drives is the same as any other login script. Refer to my FAQ on the subject.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Sorry forgot to include the FAQ link. faq329-5798

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

thanx for the assist i wanted to know whether it is possible to do all on a GPO without scripts. just asking
whether it is possible.
probably something in line of custom administrative templates, if so give me the details.
thanx

sorry mark,

so how does that script actually work.
i can see it binds to the userID, after that what line of code binds that user account to a group lets say "marketing".
you see what i want to accomplish is having my different OUs e.g "sales" composed of user accounts and having a GPO that will place those user accounts in that OU to the "sales" group.
forgive me for am quite a novice in GPOs,
regards,
Picho

OK, guess piecing that together is beyond your current skills. Here is the basic code you need.

From the login script you already have binded to the user object using:
Set UserObj = GetObject("WinNT://" & DomainString & "/" & UserString)

So all you need is the full LDAP Path of the group you want the user to join.
Code:
' Add (str)User to (str)Group
Set objGroup = GetObject("LDAP://CN=mygroup,OU=myou,DC=mycompany,DC=local")
objGroup.add(UserObj.ADsPath)

Regards,

Mark

hi mark,
can i apply the same script to a Windows 2003 server domain controller, or the syntax would have to change,

thanks
picho

hi mark,

i have placed the script in the Default Domain Controllers OU and the script doesnt seem to run, below is the script i used:(my domain is "nwtraders.msft", the group in the "Domain controllers" OU is called sales and the user account i want to add into this group is "Administrator"

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

Dim WSHShell, WSHNetwork, objDomain, DomainString, UserString, UserObj, Path

Set WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set WSHNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
'Automatically find the domain name
Set objDomain = getObject("LDAP://rootDse")
DomainString = objDomain.Get("dnsHostName")

'Grab the user name
UserString = WSHNetwork.UserName
'Bind to the user object to get user name and check for group memberships later
Set UserObj = GetObject("WinNT://" & DomainString & "/" & UserString)
'Add (str)User to (str)Group
Set objGroup = GetObject("LDAP://CN=sales,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=nwtraders,DC=msft")
objGroup.add(UserObj.ADsPath)

'Clean Up Memory We Used
set UserObj = Nothing
set GroupObj = Nothing
set WSHNetwork = Nothing
set DomainString = Nothing
set WSHSHell = Nothing
'Quit the Script
wscript.quit

thanks,
picho

The domain controllers container is just for machine accounts of domain controllers. There would be no users logging in at that level. Place the script at the OU where the user object exists.

If the ONLY id you want to do this to is Admin then just add admin to whatever groups you need manually. a script is wasteful for a single user.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back