Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy in mixed mode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hercules23

Technical User
Jun 6, 2003
US
[ponder]Hope this is not a stoopid question.......but i cant find any simple answer.......

On a w2k network with downlevel clients - W95 & NT 4 - i understand that group policy is not going to work.

However, will i be able to use group policies for my member servers that are installed with windows 2000 server ? What about a default DC GPO ?

Thanks

Yes the 2000 boxes can use the GPO's. You can use somthing like poledit to to policy editing on the others.

Thanks.

I have a client who implemented a about 4 w2k servers. Domain is in mixed mode to continue support for down level clients.

No group policies are used .....not even default DC policy.
The client does not want to implemt GPO....(whY ???).

Anyway, i am suggesting that they secure their DCs by using the DC local policy if thats their only option.

Are there any w2k 'rules' that would make implementing local security policy for DC less secure as opposed to using GPO ?

Shelly

Not to my knowledge although I think it pretty standard pratice to use a default domain policy to lockdown all DC the same. That way you just configure it a one point rather then each machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back