Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group policy frustrations! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefstew

Technical User
Oct 27, 2002
GB
Hi,
I am currently messing around with GP's. the problem i have is, when i configure a new policy it is not inherited by the clients. but if i log off/log on as administrator on the server the policy is inherited. plese anyone, tell me how to get the policy to affect the clients.

thanks

Are you applying these policies on a Domain Controller? sdibias
MCSE 2000

And I should have also asked whether these clients were running Windows 2000 or XP? sdibias
MCSE 2000

it is an AD DC. I am applying the GPO's at the OU level and domain level

Have you configured the client setting for Read and Apply Group policy on the GPO for the Authenticated Users group? You have to configure this in order for the policies to be applied. Also, do you have policies configured anywhere else? There could be certain policies overriding the latter, the flow of GP's is [LSDO] Local-->Site-->Domain-->OU.

I would just make sure to go into the properties of the domain policy, and apply the Read and Apply Group Policy setting for the OU.

If your Admins get the policy by accident, create an OU for your Administrators and set 'Block Policy Inheritence' on this OU.

Good Luck!

sdibias
MCSE 2000

Hi Beefstew,

The policy is updated every 15minut by default.
If it is a computer policy the client computer update the policy every 15minut (now total 30minuts).
If it is a client policy it is effective the next time the client login to the domain. (15 minuts after the change)

Did this bring any light on the problem?
BR
Wibbe

I have changed from DHCP to Static IP addresses.
For some reason the policies are now being applied, i don't know whether this is related, it should'nt be should it. who cares anyway, problem solved.

Thanks for your help guys.

Policies are being applied now because the workstation can find the SRV records in your DNS. DHCP was apparently not supplying the DNS local address properly. Necessary for policy. Jim - Synnex Info Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back