Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedeb

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2003
US
I have applied a group policy to an OU that is directly under the Domain OU. It specifies proxy settings for the users that are in that OU.

At the Domain level we have the Default Domain policy.

No matter what I do the settings under the Domain Default

User Config - Windows - IE Maintenance - Connection - Proxy

always override what I have set in my custom policy aplied at the lower OU.

I have tried Enforeced on my custom policy to no avail. I don't want to block inheritance because there is other stuff that is coming down that I need. When I run Modeling Wizard it tells me (incorrectly) that my custom OU wins. There does not seem to be a Not configured for the proxy settings in GP.

When I do a GPRESULT/V from the client it actually shows 3 sets of proxy settings. The Domain Default is the 1 that is last and I assume the 1 that gets applied. Mine is the second in the list. I am not sure where the first comes from.

I need to use this custom policy because we have 2 sets of users using 2 different proxies.

Please help.

Sounds to me like you have hurt yourself here by messign around with the Default Domain Policy.

The ONLY settings that should be made in that policy are for your Password settigns such as history, complexity, lockout duration etc.

Remove the settings from the default domain policy. You may even need to delete and recreate the default domain policy (Microsoft has a tool to do this).

At the workstations, be sure to run GPUPDATE /FORCE.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back