Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kippy13

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
IE
Hi all,
I have a couple of queries regarding GPO's and think this may be the best forum to answer them in however if there is a better one please let me know.
We have a Windows 2000 AD domain and I look after one section of PC's in it which are held in a number of OU's based on location.
The PC's are predominately windows XP SP2 however there are a small number of XPSP1 machines and an even smaller number of Windows 2000 S4 machine (very few).
Anyway,
I would like to set it up so that automaticilly, the firewall is switched on with a predefined list of exceptions, remote connections are allowed to the PC,the screen saver becomes active and password protected after 10 minutes and I would also like to implement some power saving standards on the machines.
Is this easy enough to implement through GPO's?
Can they all be bundled up to one GPO or do they need seperate ones?
How and at what level are the GPO's "imported" into the domain tree?
Will the GPO's effect the windows sp1 and windows 2000 machines in a negative way?

Any help, or links are greatly appreciated. I really want to unlock the power of GPO's.
Regards,
Kippy13

Managing Windows XP Service Pack 2 Features Using Group Policy:Deploying Group Policy Settings in SP2

Using the Windows Firewall INF File in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2

Microsoft: Windows 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back