Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy for local users/groups not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
Posted win Windows 7 forum at but as this relates to a GPO from a W2K8R2 server to a Win7 computer it may be best suited in this forum.

I have a W2K8R2 domain and ~800 XPSP3 desktops. There are numerous GPOs, one of which uses the Computer Configuration/Policies/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Restricted Groups setting to add an AD group to the BUILTIN\Administrators local group. This works fine on XP but not W7.

After some Googling I found another way of doing it so I created a new GPO, put a W7 VM into a test OU and applied the GPO to it. This GPO uses the Computer Configuration/Preferences/Control Panel Settings/Local Users and Groups/Group[ (Name: Administrators (built-in))/Administrators (built-in)(Order:1)/Local Group setting to do the same thing (Googling about it tells me this is a better way of doing it than Restraicted Groups) but this fails to apply to my W7 computer.

Group Policy Results wizard tells me the GPO was successfully applied. But if I edit the properties of the local Administrators group on the W7 machine it doesn't list the group that I added with the GPO.

Is there something different about W7 and how this GPO works?

**bump

Has not one used this functionality to assign local admin permissions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back