Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy for filtering out emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharback

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2004
US
Good Morning All,

I am new at Group Policy, and I am confused in setting up a group policy for exchange. I want to be able to filter out emails that are sexual in nature and be able to review them to make sure that people are not recieving thing that they are not suppose to.

Please Help!

Pharback

You will need a 3rd party for this, for example we use MailMarshall from NetIQ.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

There's got to be a way to do this without getting a third party software.

Someone I trust has told me that you could create a group policy within exchange to select email that have certian words that are sexual in content to be transfered to another email account for review so that I am takeing the right emails. If these emails clean, then I could send it to the original recipiants.

I guess you'd better stop trusting them, then ... ;-)

Basically, Exchange 2000 doesn't have this sort of functionality built in. Closest thing Exchange 2000 has is message archival (which Microsoft also refer to as journaling) - but, if activated, that just takes a copy of all inbound and outbound messages and drops those copies them in a designated mailbox. Whilst you can always set up some Outlook rules on that mailbox to filter and manipulate those copies to a certain extent, it does not stop the originals getting through to the recipients. (Oh, and there are a number of 3rd party products which make management and control of journaling a lot easier and more flexible than is available from within Exchange/Outlook). If you are handy with scripting (and a little bit with any language that can provide a COM DLL) you can write your own code to handle SMTP Event Sinks (although to get even those working properly with outbound email theoretically requires that you have a second Exchange Server)

With Exchange 2003 you can additionally use Intelligent Message Filtering - but that is really for dealing with unsolicited commercial e-mail (UCE, more commonly known as spam) and dumping it into a UCE folder. This uses a set of proprietary Microsoft algorithms to identify potential spam; there is no option to allow you to filter on words of your choice (you just get to set the sensitivity of the algorithms)

What you report your friend to have described is precisely what (amongst other things) the products NortonES2 and Zelandakh have mentioned are designed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back