Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy Editor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaycup

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
Tried to access Group Policy Editor from the 'run' box with the 'gpedit.exe' command but got the error message "MMC could not create the snap-in."

Have searched in vain for a solution.

Does Microsoft Management Console run OK buy itself? Start, run, mmc, ok

If so, can you add the group policy editor or any other snap-in? File, Add/Remove Snap-in

Thanks but I had already tried this but did so again and got the same result MMC opens ok but when I try to load the GP snapin I get the message "MMC cannot initialize the snapin- Name Group Policy Object Editor

Group Policy Editor is not something i am engaged with very often so hard to say how old the problem is. I have read that .Net Framework v3.0 can cause this problem. thanks for all the attenton and help and if all else fails i will download the 'fix' you mentioned or i might try un-installing and re-installing .Net Framework.

I saw this on the MMC help screen:

"Note

On rare occasions, some snap-ins may not work correctly with MMC 3.0. To ensure that these MMC-based tools work correctly with MMC 3.0, you must install updates. For more information about available updates, see the MMC Download Site at the Microsoft Web site.
"

Jim

May be stating the obvious, but are you an admin on the machine?

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Yes, I log on as 'Administrator'. The problem is still with me and i have spent hours trying to get an answer. The Microsoft KB is just hopeless and never comes up with the right search results. Someone at Microsoft must know the solution to this problem. I have un-installed .NetFramework 3.5 SP1 but this made no difference. The bottom line is that Group policy Editor is no longer installed on my computer.

My workstation won't run gpedit.exe, but if I run MMC and then from there run c:\windows\system32\gpedit.msc it works.

Regards,
David.

Have finally managed to get GPedit running from the command prompt. Here is what I did.

1.) Make sure that the file 'framedyn.dll' is present in the Windows\System32\Web folder. I actually replaced it with a fresh copy from the 'DilCache' folder, then carry out the instructions from this Microsoft KB article.

"1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2.On the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.
3.Under System Variables double-click the PATH environment variable.
4.Type:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM
Note If other system variables appear, do not remove them.
5.Click OK, and then click OK."

This certainly worked for me. Good luck to anyone who has the same problem and thanks once again for the 'support'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back