Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy behaving very odd

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmuse

Technical User
Aug 28, 2006
US
I have an OU folder for desktops, and one for laptops. The desktop OU has a GPO restricting offline files sync.. for various reasons I am testing this. I moved my personal computer over to the Laptop OU, but when i run GPRESULT the offline files sync GPO is still applied.

CN=D34266,OU=Laptops,OU=Workstations,OU=Computers1,DC=DOMAIN,DC=net
Last time Group Policy was applied: 8/28/2006 at 1:48:18 PM
Group Policy was applied from: ADSERVER.DOMAIN.net
Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps

Applied Group Policy Objects
-----------------------------
Restrict Offline Files Sync
Windows Update1
Software Restriction
Default Domain Policy
No Windows FireWall
Local Group Policy

"Restrict Offline Files Sync" is ONLY linked to the Desktop OU. The laptop OU (which my pc is now) is not under the Desktop OU, they are on the same level.

Does anyone konw why my computer is still picking up a GPO after I move it from the OU in which it is linked?

Group Policies have a tendency of "stamping" a computer's registry with their restrictions, and these are often only removed by explicitly providing a new policy that reverses the old one's actions. You say that your Desktop policy has this offline restriction set, but does your laptop policy explicitly allow offline synch , or is it just set to "not defined" ?

I have same kind of trouble. I have a folder redirection group policy applied to users OU and I applied security filtering to a security group conatining only one user. group policy seem to apply to all users. I don't know whats the deal with security filtering ?

After reading another prevoiusly posted topic, I want ahead and ran gpupdate /force with a restart. This solved the problem with the GPO being applied, but strangely enough I still do not sync the 'my docs' folder even though all other computers in my OU do, none of them were moved over from the Desktops OU though, they have always been there.

So in keeping with the idea from the first reply to this thread, I created anew GPO reversing all modifications in the Desktop OU preventing the sync. I get good results running gpresult, but the syncing is not taking place.

By default, windows 2003 will sync the my documents folder when redirected, but since my comptuer was in an OU preventing this, it appears to still have effect even after I take it out of that OU.. I will mess around a bit more and see if I find out anything new.. Any suggestions appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back