Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy Applications Don't Install after OSD Install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

baldhead

Technical User
Apr 27, 2004
US
I have about 90% of the OSD install automated. There is one crucial piece that I need some help on. After the user restore state occurs and it reboots to boot into windows, the running startup scripts message will display for around 5 minutes and then the "ctrl-alt-del" login window pops up. What is missing is the "Installing Managed Software..." message which begins to install all the applications I have managed in group policy. This leaves one more manual reboot to install these applications until the machine is completely ready.

Is there a group policy option or some other way to force the group policy applications to install after that first reboot?

The group policy option I do have enabled is:

"Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"

Microsoft says this policy should do what I am talking about here, but I haven't had success with it thus far.

Finally, I prefer using Group Policy to distribute these core applications due to it's simplicity, and how easy it is to troubleshoot if something does go wrong.

maybe try to put a run once script in the registry that performs a "gpupdate /force /boot" to make the computer automatically reboot once more so it can get the managed apps.
It always takes a second reboot before my machines will get apps installed.

When would I place this registry edit into the computer? I have tried running it from a script during the post-install and restore state phases of the OSD but neither seems to work. I also entered the commands into the machine with the image right before I started the image capture process and this didn't seem to hold. What would be the best way to do this?

I appreciate your help.

for a final part of your setup phase I'd have autologon set for the final phase afte joining the domain for a specific admin account in place that runs a script that specifies gpupdate /force and unsets the autologon keys(batch file or VBS) kicked off from the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\RunOnceEx key, which windows automatically clears out every reboot
Another option is to set the machine local group policy refresh interval to be 1 minute, and which should also help as after any changes your domain group policy refresh interval should override it.

This is the way I tried it and it doesn't work. Do you know why? Can't I just include a batch file during one of the installation phases that contains a: "regedit /s [blah].reg" line? This would be the registry file that would have been exported from when runonce had the gpupdate entry. Therefore when the user logs in the first time this should be executed. Unfortunately when I have done it this way the RunOnce entry is never there. I appreciate your help.

thanks

i would think you could add this into the sysprep phase, if a batch file doesnt work, then a vbscript is likely your only alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back