Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna22

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
GB
Dear all

i have started to look into the group policy side of active directory as i want to lock down workstations connected to the network, i have organised my users into specific areas so i can apply different policies to different groups of users. However when i looked into the group policy screen i got lost under all the submenus and options. Can anyone advise me of a good book, website, download that i can look at in order to explain the different areas, options and what is expected to happen from each choice in group policy.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Anna

best bet is to go to the source, there isnt a book on this, cos it chanegs with service packs and new options.

search on google for policysettings.xls and download the excel file.
it contains all!

and if you have an XP pc somewhere, download GPMC and do your GPOs from this PC. it is well worth it!! a lot clearer, explanations of most policies in the same window etc.......

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

i can only find the windows 2003 version of this policysettings.xls ..... stooopid microsoft....

Also on M$ website theres a utility called Group Policy Scenarious. Its sorta like a baseline, for diff. config measures. The best thing for you would be, if you set yourself up in a testing environment and swing for the fences. Start messing around. You ultimately want to assign GPO's based on company needs, so I would work closely with the Managers of all the dept's,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back