Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group policies, screensavers, and locking PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobSheridan

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2002
GB
I am looking into finding away of implementing a group policy to make unattended W2K PCs more secure. Now I know that you can do this by making PCs run with screensavers and activating password protection, however we have a lot of machines that run processor intensive programs which can be effected by the extra demands of running a screensaver - or at least as department heads claim. Does anyone know of a way that I can simply force PCs just to lock after a certain period of time without activating a screen saver as well?

Can't you just use the 'default screen saver' (blank screen) with password? Can't imagine that takes up lots of processing power)

Hi Bob

There are utilites that you can pay for out there that will lock down the desktop on idle time. I have also seen 'freeware' that claims the same. I have not tried any of them.

Here is one that is free called BlackOut

Patty [ponytails2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back