Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

group, permissions problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoice

Programmer
Feb 15, 2003
GB
Hello,

i have 20 xp pro boxes attached to nt 4.0 server. I have set them all up and everything was fine until yesterday. The tutor says that her students cannot change the time and date settings due to insuffient permissions.

the users have a local account on each machine and they are part of the power uses group. I have created a user group on the server called power users to keep things consistent.

The problem is that when they log on locally they can change time and date settings. But when they log on to the network they cannot. it appears that the server global accounts have priority. The only way i can get this to work is by making them a member of the dom admins group.

I do not want to make all the students part of this group. is there a way around this?
I have also set ntfs perms on the local drives with full controll for power users.

thanks in advance

neil

Sounds like when they log on with their domain accounts the are being authenticated as Domain Users. On Windows XP the Domain Users account defaults under a basic User, with no rights to the pc but to run applications. You can move the Domain Users account to Power Users group on the XP machines and this should resolve this issue.

Cliff, CCNA/MCSE/MCSA 2000
Network Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back