Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Not Working When Field Value Is Null

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesleycampbell

Technical User
Jun 21, 2013
US
In my report, I am grouping on a Purchase Order field. Not all Orders require Purchase Orders. Even if the purchase order field is null, I still want the order to show.

I tried the following formula to group on:
IF (ISNULL({OrderMaster.PurchaseOrder}) OR {OrderMaster.PurchaseOrder} = " ") THEN "Purchase Order: NONE" ELSE "Purchase Order: " & {OrderMaster.PurchaseOrder}

I have tried several variations of this formula and none work. It only returns the orders that have purchase orders attached to them.

Help?

try this:
ELSE ("Purchase Order: " & {OrderMaster.PurchaseOrder})

Your formula looks like it should work. However, if you're not using a command, stored procedure, or universe to provide the data for your report, you could try creating a "SQL Expression" for this instead of using a formula. SQL Expressions use the same syntax as your database. Since you don't mention which DB you're connecting to, here are two examples:

SQL Server
IsNull("OrderMaster"."PurchaseOrder", 'Purchase Order: ' + "OrderMaster"."PurchaseOrder")

Oracle
Nvl("OrderMaster"."PurchaseOrder", 'Purchase Order: ' + "OrderMaster"."PurchaseOrder")

You would then use this to group on.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back