Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Mailbox - Office XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmanzel

IS-IT--Management
Oct 13, 2002
CA
How do I set up a group mailbox in Office XP. I have set up an account in exchange and given my users permissions to the account, but how do I get Outlook XP to access it?

I think I know what you are trying to do....so try this

In outlook, go to file, open, other user's folder and type in the group account....OR create a profile on users computer so when they open outlook it will ask them what profile they want to open...they just have to select the group account!

Bishop

See the problem is that the account is a help desk account and I want many users to access it. There is no one computer that has this mailbox. I was unable to open the email account from Open other user's mailbox, because it really doesn't exist.

I have seen how to do this in Outlook 2000 but not XP.

Have you thought about using a public folder? It can receive email and everyone who needs to see it can open it with no change to the Outlook profile.

If it is a helpdesk account, you will need to avoid duplicate answers from multiple people.
Let all of the 'helpdeskers' connect to that mailbox with IMAP so others will see an opened message and can then ignore it.
You will need to leave the mail on the server of course, so no-one should use a PST on that account.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

TenSNut,
How do you send mail to a public folder? Does it have an email address of it's own?

Thanks, Allen

Yes public folders can be mail-enabled. This topic is covered in Exchange help: exadmin.chm, it's very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back