Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

group header question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbbdnc

Technical User
Oct 19, 2000
US
Is it possible to make a group header act like a page header by having it appear only once on a page regardless of whether a new group starts on that page?

The group header has to be placed under other group headers on the page, or I'd use a page header.

Thanks-
Kim

I think this is what you are after. Let say this group is by dept, and three depts appear on page 2. You want to print this header for the first dept on page 2, and not print this header for the other two depts?

You will need to use a running total to count the groups on the page. These are the old style running totals that use variables (see the FAQ and the 3-formula technique). The difference for you is that the reset will be in the page header, the assignment will go in this group header.

You can then suppress this group header when the variable is greater than or equal to 1. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

Thanks for the info, Ken. This is what I'm trying and it eliminates the repeated group header on the first page but when the group header appears on in the page heading of the second page, it doesn't count the group that started on the previous page so I get the group header printing at the top of the page and then with the first occurance of a new group on that page. Is there any way to avoid that? The group header should appear at the top of the page on every page after the first.

Thanks-
Kim

You could increment the variable again in the group footer of each group (or maybe only in the GF). That way even if it misses the repeated GH, the GF will put the variable over the top and prevent the next group.

Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

Thank you, it worked perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back