Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

group calendar questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoody54

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2002
US
Hi everyone, I'm a novice with Notes so I'm probably just missing it. Is it possible to set-up a calendar that everyone has access to for viewing people's vacation schedules. Since everyon'e calendar is tied into their mail file I'm not sure about how to go about setting up a calendar that everyone can access that has this info on it. I can think of a way to do a work around with Resource Scheduling but that isn't the best way to do it. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Tom

We have a setup similar to what you are describing. We created an email account called "IT Calendar". Added the appropriate people to the Access Control List, and added an icon for the Calendar to their Workspace. When first opened, the users may see the mailbox...all they need to do is switch to the calendar, and provided that "restore as last viewed by user" is selected on the LAUNCH Tab of the DB properties box, the next time they open the DB, the calendar will be what they see. It has been working great for us for over a year. Good Luck!

Where do you go about adding people to the Access Control List? I am in the Lotus Administrator and right click on the created database and chose access control, then manage and nothing comes up. I've it done this in the past with Resource Reservation databases. Thank for the advice!

Ok, Through some more tinkering I got it to work. One more question though... I want there to be a bookmark icon for this calendar. I can get one for this extra email account, but in order to open its calendar you have to right click the icon, choose database, go to, then calendar. I then set up a bookmark icon for this calendar but whenever I close the calendar and then click the icon I made for it, it just opens the mailbox. Anyway to make it directly open the calendar?

We have been using this method also - but it does mean double-entering calendar entries into your own calendar and then into the group calendar. There are some third-party group calendar products out there that will pull from a select group of people's calendars to create all of the entries in the group calendar. They cost money - but they are worth it if the need really exists.

To eliminate the double posting, you can send invitations to the "Calendar" and set the "Calendar" to automatically process meeting invations.

Why don't you use the built in freetime function for this?
Search in the client Help for Group Calendar. We use this method 'out of the box' for exactly the purpose you describe without having to setup another Notes ID.
Check it out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back