Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group by Week Crossing Year End

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMKelly

Programmer
Jan 23, 2002
US
I need to set up a report to group information by week for a 52 full week (Sunday - Saturday) period. In the past I have had issues doing grouping by week at the point where the year ends.

With months, you can do a Format(DateField, "yyyymm") that can sort November, December, January, February... even though the months would be 11, 12, 1, 2... With weeks, I tried the same thing, but the portion of the whole week (Sunday - Saturday) that ends in December would be 200453 (for example) and the first week in January would be 200501, but they are the same week, because neither is a full week. The sort order would work, but that week is broken into two.

Does anyone have a fix for this problem that they have already done? Thanks.

You may try something like this:
Format(DateSerial(Year(DateField), Month(DateField),1+Day(DateField)-WeekDay(DateField)),"yyyyww")

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

You can also build mapping tables, map dates to each week. I've done this before. It may not seem to be the "best" solution for you, but in a normalized reporting database this has been optimal for me.

Randall Vollen
National City Bank Corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back