Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

group by group formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

deborahyr

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
US
I have a report that captures data rows from a table that has codes that have the same first 2 characters but different last 2 characters for distinction. I'd like my report to group by like codes (first 2 characters). My report is already grouped on this table/field so the printing/sorting is correct but I'd like each "like group" to print per page. I figured I'd have to create a formula in group footer when selecting New Page After. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Can you provide an example of data showing what you want compared to what you currently have?

CODE DESCRIPTION
bhee deitghe
(new page)
bhii deitheieww
(new page)
bhio deiehtesaxc
(new page)
cmed ioeiowo
(new page)
cmio ieleie

I'd like to get the "bh"'s on one page and "cm"'s on another and so forth... my grouping is on the code field but if the code is different it prints on another page.

You could create another group on the following formula:

left({table.code},2)

Then go to report->change group expert and use the arrow key to make this the higher order group. You could then format the "new page after" on this group, but suppress the header and footer for display purposes.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back