Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group and Media Pool? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMW

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2001
US
Hello,

Can anyone tell me the difference between group and media pool? How to set up weekly back up using media pool concept? I am using Arcseve 2000 on a backup server. I would like to backup 20 NT servers in the LAN.

Thanks,

BMW

From my experience
Group refers to the Hardware you are using. If you have a multi tape backup system you can create "Hardware Tape groups" (i.e.) tape 1-5 could be in Hardware Group0 and 6-10 in hardware group1.
Media pool, i use to group like media (DLT tapes and 8MM tape)
Now when you create your backup routine you can choose what hareware groups you want to use (selecting Group0 would only use tape in slot 1-5 and Group1 6-10) for that backup routine. If using a tape rotation schedule you then associate the media pool to the backup job.

Here we have a DLT backup system with 10 tapes which we call Group0 and created a media pool of DLT. Our backup thus uses Group0 (can use all 10 tapes) and the information when completed is stored under the DLT media pool
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back