Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group already running...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkalbus

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
DE
Hi there,

we have currently a very strange problem - our Networker 6.1.2 on Solaris 5.7 sometimes does not start a group - trying to restart gives us a group already running error, although the group definitely is not running anymore.
No save, savepnpc, or anything else processes indicating a running backup.

When I first tried to stop the group my complete machine crashed - all, or say almost all processes died with only 6 to 8 remaining. Only a reboot helped.

It felt like networker was doing a "kill -9 -1" killing everything it is capable to kill - and with root permissions you could kill a lot of processes.

Calls with our support did not help yes - they were mostly aimed at the resources of the machine - but it is not at its limits.

Did anyone encounter the same strange behaviour?

Help is very much appreciated

Johanes

networker 6.1.3 has patches which relate to savegrp issues, such as starting one when another is running will hang it etc....an upgrade from 6.1.2 to 6.1.3 is a quick task which you could then test to see if it works....at least if it doesnt work you can scratch this off the troubleshooting list

Thank you for the suggestion. We're going to upgrade next week - if anything drastic happens I will write.
Our last upgrade almost killed us :) 6.0.2 to 6.1

If the Status field on the GUI under Server --> Group Control is still showing running then it can't be started.

You can manually update via the nsradmin command to a status of idle.

nsradmin -s <server_name>
nsradmin> print type: NSR Group; name: Daily
type: NSR group
name: Daily;
autostart: Disabled;
start time: &quot;3:33&quot;;
client retries: 1;
clones: No;
clone pool: Default Clone;
printer: ;
nsradmin> update status: idle
Update? y