Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Administration Best Practices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbourne

MIS
Sep 11, 2003
I've run into this problem at a few places I have worked now, and I just want to get the opinion of some other professionals in the field of AD Administration. The subject is about groups.

1st option: Do you put your users into a small amount of groups, such as by department or by hierarchy (ceo, manager, peon, etc..), then assign that department group to all the resources they need?

2nd option: Or, do you create your groups based on the resources you have, and put your people into those groups, potentially creating a great many number of groups in active directory.

I kinda feel that the second one is easier to manage because you can centrally control who has access to what specific resource without having to go to each resource. The second option does requires a key file when you are creating new users or when a user changes jobs within the company. The key file is basically a spreadsheet detailing what resources they get access to based on job title.

My co-worker disagrees with me and likes the first option better. Thoughts?

I actually use a mix of both. I have users assigned to their departments...and I have groups assigned based upon access requirements across departments.

I don't really see how you could use one or the other...it seems there will always be a mix.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

I agree. The organization and their needs will dictate which method works for a given requirement. I, too, have used both, and can't really see where one would always be used over the other.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back