Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

grounding spirit system extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pccsipoffice

Technical User
Apr 17, 2012
US

Greetings all,
Spirit system (two pair pain in the backside)
Understanding that a good ground on surge protection has to do with all grounds including the PBX
should be the same point. That has been done at the PBX with building CO line protection it has worked
so far accept for one building that always seems to blow a STATION card when lightning comes. The far building side
has panamax ds 2(digital stations). at the phones and co protection at the entrance.
I have learned that co protection is for lightning on c.o. not necessarily for extensions. I am looking for
a solution to this problem. Should I use a panamax ds 2 at the system in addition to the co TYPE protection
that is there. I read spirit documentation about two surge models that should be used together but these
can no longer be found. a new building being added soon...... Ideas?
sorry if to much information.

?

Spirit was engineered to be an "IN HOUSE" system, no OFF PREM Stuff.

That being said, I would see to it that my Station wiring is BURIED, in a GROUNDED METAL CONDUIT. Both the old site, and the new site.

And even then, I'm not sure you would have adequate protection.

There are several PROTECTION UNITS still around for SINGLE PAIR. You could try 2 per extension, but it would probably be a bust.

The old adage that Electricity follows the most direct path to GROUND is not in the Equation for LIGHTENING. At 4 to 14 MILLION VOLTS, Lightening goes where ever in the heck it wants to go.

Sounds like a good excuse to rid yourself of that antique.

You speak the truth. I would love to sell a new system. I probably made a mistake in telling them they had more extensions. I am probably to honest. I found some linx secondary protectors that are lucent on ebay they actually say spirit on them! I am going to try it. Wish I could find some 2 pair patch cables. Thanks merlin man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back