Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grounding Problems Mounting Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonothanE

Technical User
Jan 10, 2006
US
I previously had a motherboard which i mounted in my case on metal supports, I just got a new motherboard which whenever i mount on these supports has grounding issues and doesnt give any video output. Does anyone know the proper way to insulate the motherboard or do i need to buy supports that are composed of a non-conductable material?

thanks,

I would reccomend buying the plastic supports that screw into the holes. They support very well and do not cause any shorts.

JonothanE,
Standard brass stand-offs should work,also make sure that you don't have an extra one placed where it doesn't belong.

If your case uses the square tin "clip on type" stand-offs,
then you may need to cover the tops with a non conductive material. I have used tire patches from a bicycle tire patch kit. Take a paper hole puncher, put a hole in the tire patch, place the patch over the top of the stan-off centered with the screw hole, then trim the excess off around the edges with a razor blade. It basically creates a self sticking non conductive rubber gasket.

I've used electrical tape, doubled over long enough to cut a "v" into the fold then unfolded.
Also, don't overlook the possibility that the screw head is making contact with a trace.

Given the choice between plastic supports and insulated metal, I would choose the insulated metal. Sliding the board into position and back out can be difficult with the plastic ones.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

There should be know need for insulating these posts but if you feel it's necessary then simply super glue those supplied? fibre washers to the top of the posts.

I still recommend leaving at least one post "BARE" for proper board grounding, as it should be, although the board does get a ground through the main power lead as well.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back