Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grounding and Bonding Requirements on 1" EMT Pipe for CAT6 runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasTXtech

Technical User
Dec 10, 2015
US
The runs come from a communication room (IDF) via cable tray that is grounded from busbar. Then the runs exit the cable tray supported by J-Hooks into 1" EMT pipe through the wall, 10ft of EMT. The inspector is requiring that we attach a grounding bushing to the 10ft EMT, that must get grounding from the telco busbar. Where in NEC or Bicsi is this requirement? Or a reference to Grounding and bonding requirements of communications metal conduits within a building? Thank you in advance!

NEC Article 250.86 requires grounding of metal raceways, but grants some exceptions. For your case in particular, it would appear that Exception #2 might be relevant (#1 deals with add-ons to existing installations and #3 isn’t relevant). However, Exception #2 doesn’t define what it means by “short sections” and inspectors usually have great latitude regarding interpretation. Even if you have an arguable case, for something like this it’s usually easier to just do what the inspector wants rather than trying to find a way out.

To the OP, what state are you in? Is there a local code that is overriding the standard?
Also, did you look at TIA-607?

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

An inspector isn't going to care about what a standard such as TIA-607 says - it's the prevailing code that matters (which I assumed was the NEC based on the original post). For the record, TIA-607 does require metallic pathways to be bonded to ground, with the exception of short metallic pathways, such as sleeves through walls and floors.

Libellis,
Agree, but since it seemed like someone was making up their own rules, I was suggesting that it was another possibility of where the "requirement" might have come from.

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCAP, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

If the site is indeed covered by the NEC rather than being an oddity with its own rules, then it doesn't seem so unreasonable for the inspector to insist that a 10' section be grounded. TIA-607 would point to the same conclusion. My first response was only to answer where in the NEC grounding was required, and if they wanted to argue the point with the inspector, what the basis might be. I certainly wouldn't want to get into an argument about whether or not 10' should be considered a "short" section. Just ground it.

Most inspectors I know won't classify 10' of emt as a sleeve. They will always want something that long be bonded to a proper ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back