Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ground modules separately? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhinorhino

Vendor
Aug 29, 2022
US
I've been reading a lot of the threads regarding the grounding of the ipo. What's everyone's opinion on grounding in series for example the control unit would have a dual ground lug that would then Cascade to the next module and the next module and the next module and then grounded to the house?

Is this recommended or should each module and control unit have its own separate ground wire to a main ground multi-terminal ground bar. Also is copper recommended over other round lugs and stranded or solid core ground wire and should the wall rack also be grounded by scratching the paint off prior to attaching the ground lug?

Thank you

I have grounded a handful of systems since I started working on IPO in 2003
If there are issues with the analog lines then yes, otherwise no and the IP500 is grounded via the power plug (giving that the sparkies did their job right) and the expansions are connected via the shielded 1m cable (giving that you did your job right ;-) )

But if you run already a ground wire then might as well loop it through all the units as that is really not a lot of extra work. That was what I did on those rare occasions where I had to ground the units which btw did not result in the fix of any of the analog line issues as far as I can remember.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

A few years ago I attended an Avaya "Top Gun" 4 day training session. One of the sessions was hosted by Avaya Tier 3 support personnel and they talked about some of the most common issues they dealt with in their support role. On top of, or near the top of, the list was grounding and analog trunks. Apparently the ground lug on the back of the IPO must be properly connected for the analog trunk ports to properly do their impedience match when the IPO is booted up.
Personally I've never had issues with it, but the Avaya support guys really stressed the importance of it.

By the way I've heard that Avaya is going to be only going cloud and they're going to discontinue all IPO office products. Is that true?

If it is like they did with Nortel will they'll be a big aftermarket service and support? I've had several people try using VoIP and they hate it always having problems unlike traditional PBX and key systems with landlines or pris.

Rhinorhino you should open up a new thread for that!

There's a place for both but we'll need to see how Avaya approach it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back