Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gremlins in the works 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelandakh

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
GB
I have a Mac OS X Server and seem to be the only one in the world who is using one...<br><br>It is a Mac GUI with Unix underneath and the ability to drop to a command prompt if required. Unfortunately I have very minor skills in Linux and no actual Unix.<br><br>Problem: Two consecutive Mondays, most recently at 3:16am when no one was in and the backup job was not running, all files starting with a hash symbol were deleted. This affected several thousand mission critical files.<br><br>Question: What deleted them, how do I check for it and how do I stop it happening again?

Ok Zel,<br><br>It's your crontab file - scheduling a helpful clean up, lucky you<br><br>email me (I'm in Lincolnshire) - we can fix it by email r phone and post the solution<br> <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>Please -- Don't send me email questions without posting them in Tek-Tips as well. Better yet -- Post the question in Tek-Tips and send me a note saying "Have a look at so-and-so in the thingy forum would you?"

home email is in my .sig<br><br>work email is mailto:<A HREF="mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com">Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</A><br> <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>Please -- Don't send me email questions without posting them in Tek-Tips as well. Better yet -- Post the question in Tek-Tips and send me a note saying "Have a look at so-and-so in the thingy forum would you?"

For those of you interested - it may happen to you! here is the result of what Mike found:<br><br>There are 3 Crontab files, daily, weekly and monthly.<br><br>Part of the daily file (which is scheduled to run at 3.15am each morning) includes a tidy up to delete all files beginning with a hash that are over 3 days old.<br><br>This therefore only affected me over a weekend!<br><br>Not only have we told our employees not to use hash at the start of a file, we have also commented out the file deletion routine.<br><br>IT staff are happy and the management are as happy as they get - all thanks to Mike.<br><br>With large thanks. <p>Zel<br><a href=mailto:zel@zelandakh.co.uk>zel@zelandakh.co.uk</a><br><a href= poor example of a web site</a><br>Looking to take MCP TCPIP shortly - all help gratefully received

&lt;g&gt; nice to get something right for a change, thx zel, glad it worked out ok<br> <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>Please -- Don't send me email questions without posting them in Tek-Tips as well. Better yet -- Post the question in Tek-Tips and send me a note saying "Have a look at so-and-so in the thingy forum would you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back