Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Greeting message problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulo33

Technical User
Oct 31, 2002
AU
Hello,
I am trying to connect to a server, but it's on a line that has a greeting message when it answers, and wants you to hold on before starting the connection. My problem is that my modem does not recognize this message, and disconnects before it receives any tone.
Does anybody know how to work around this??

Thanks.

Put commas at the end of your dial string. Normally each comma represents 2 seconds of waiting.

You may have to extend your dial timeout as well.

pansophic

Thanks for your response Pansophic, could you help me in extending my dial timeout? Should that be a normal setting in my modem?

Thanks again!

If you are using Windows, there is a setting in the Dialup networking configuration for the dial timeout. I don't use Windows too often, so I don't recall exactly where it is, but it is a TAPI parameter, so it is probably under Phone or Modem settings in the Control Panel.

Maybe someone who uses Windows regularly can help you with the specifics.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back