Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Greek Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonJ

Programmer
Oct 24, 2002
GB
Hi,

I need to develop a system that can handle Greek characters.

There are 2 issues that I need to address:

1. Database
At the moment, I can cut and paste Greek Text into a SQL database table field and it will be stored in the database correctly. If I the insert that text using a simple insert statement it is converted to: ??????e?t???, d??t? ?a? ?? pe??te? µa? t??????

2. Browser
At this point I am not sure if this is a result of the database or not - my thinking is not because if the Greek is stored correctly in the database it is still not rendered properly in the browser.

Any thoughts on where I am going wrong?

SonJ

you need to set character code set at the top of your asp page...

also look into Server.HTMLEncode()

-DNG

Hi,

The Server.HTMLEncode() only works if the Greek characters are stored correctly in the database. Is there anyway I can ensure that the Greek is stored correctly? For example, is there a convert function I could use?

Also, does anyone know if I set the charset to be that of Greek what the effect it would have on non-Greek characters?

SonJ

Are you using a unicode datatype for your database field?

For MS SQL Server that would be something like nchar or nvarchar instead of char or varchar.

The database fields are set to nVarchar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back