Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Greatly Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

F90X

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2004
CA
Hello everyone!

My friend in Calgary (I'm in Edmonton, and due to my friend's current situation, I can't remote into his computer) is running windows XP home, and has been recently reloaded due to a virus on the OS partition.

Today, for some reason, he's lost his IP from telus. He reinstalled the NIC and the all that, but he can't "renew" his IP using IPCONFIG....exact quote from him.

"...when i go to run then command i can release ip but not renew ip. says something about missing socket???"

I know he could have "reinstalled" the NIC wrong into it's socket, but on the connection icon in the bottom rh corner, it's saying connection ok...if it wasn't into the PCI slot, the OS wouldn't detect it at all, so I'm guessing that's not it...

Has anyone run into this before????? And so suddenly??? I guess it's always possible it's the NIC, but without actually "being there" it's tough for me and obviously you, my helpers, to tell lol.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers

faq779-4625 will point you to WinsockFix that will sort the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back