Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Great Plains via TS with sufficient rights 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatPlus

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
Hello all:

Great Plains and MSSQL 2000 are hosted on Windows 2000 server

What user rights level would be sufficient to access the application froma remote location using Terminal Services?

If users are allowed Administrator's rights, then login is no problem but you dont want to give global rights to a server and let users run wild!!!!

If I remove Admin rights, I get DEXTERITY RUNTIME error and the application does not launch

Please help!

Thank you
Mickey

Normal user privileges should work just fine - we're using great plains on terminal server at many clients and those users only have normal domain user privileges.

Was Great Plains installed using the Add/Remove Programs option, or the changeuser command to put the terminal server in install mode? My guess is this isn't the case and the users do not have the proper privileges to the registry keys that GP needs to access.

Hello Anifong:

Thanks for your response.

Great Plains was installed at the server and client copies were installed at their respective client locations within the LAN

It is when a remote login is required using Terminal Servive that denies access. The same user who has full control when in office within the LAN has problems when using Terminal Services

Both, the SQL2000 and GreatPlains folders have security turned on to all full rights to those folders

Hoping to have been complete with my explanation

Best wishes
Mickey

I think I understand - the users work from their machine in the office and have no problems, then when out of the office they login to the terminal server, using the same account as in the office. At this time they get the dexterity runtime error. Sound right, or at least close?

If I understand the above correclty, I'm still fairly certain that the GP client needs to removed from the server, then reinstalled on the terminal server using add\remove programs - add new program from cd or floppy (or type "change user /install" at a DOS prompt, then when install is complete type "change user /execute"). Among other things this "install mode" tracks the registry keys that are changed or created and gives users access to those keys. The fact that the administrators can use the program fine seems to point to a security issue, and you've said they have access to the client folder.

By the way, the users don't need any kind of access to the SQL 2000 folders, as the account that runs the SQL services is the only one accessing those files.

hello catplus,

open computer management on terminal server machine then on shared folder you should see dynamics folder and set the access right for specified user to access that folder.

Magnum

For some reason, users have to have local administrator rights on the computer where the application is running for the VBA code to work. I've run into this a few times. Do you have any customizations?

There are some ways around giving local administrator rights. I think it involves giving full control to system32. I'm not completely sure about that though. I believe there is a techknowledge that describes this.

Anyway, maybe customization isn't your issue.

There are very specific ways to install Great Plains on a TS (or Citrix) server to make it work correctly. I don't have the TK #, but it is in there. Please reply back if you can't find it and I will try to help.

I think the problem is that the users don't have the right to login interactively (locally) on the Terminal Server. You must allow this in the local machine policy and refresh the policy to relect the change immediately. After that, they need just basic (everyone) read access, nothing more.

While I am here, I wonder if anyone has had the same problem I am having with colors. In GP, the "grey" rows of data (every second row) when selected turns white and the data cannot be viewed at all. It must be a "feature" of GP as it does this when I set the display settings to 256 color locally.

Does anyone know a workaround?

Thanks

I believe we changed the display properties in Windows to Windows Classic or Windows Default or something. I can't remember exactly but could find out if you need me to.

stef315:
Txs, it worked. It was the Windows Classic scheme that did the trick.

CatPlus:
BTW, the permissions solution I found was specific to the folder containing the files listed in dynamics.set file that is loaded with the GP shortcut. I just added the default permissions + write to the c:\program files\eEntrprs folder and it solved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back