Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Great Plains running 20 times slower on citrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
I have the same installation of Great Plains running on my laptop and on our citrix servers. I have the same ODBC setup. When I access Great Plains on my laptop, go into certain windows and enter transactions, it goes very fast.

WHen I do the exact same thing within citrix (using published application OR directly on the console) it is at least 20 times slower, even with no other users connected to that citrix box.

My laptop is P3 2Ghz, 512 Mb RAM, xp Home connected with 10Base connection

Our citrix servers are quad 3Ghz, 3Gb RAM on windows 2000 server with SP3, with metaframe xp 1.2. THe citrix servers are connected to a 1Gb switch to sql box.

If it runs fast on my laptop, it can't be the application or the sql box. Does anyone else have issues running apps on citrix with poor performance?

A 119Mb file took 4 seconds.

I have 4 Great Plains installs on Citrix boxes out there and at none of them does a laptop or PC run faster GP runs like a good-un.
Please don't take this the wrong way but have you checked the dynamics.ini file for file locations some of the files need to be on the GP server and referred to by UNC names.

This must be a CTX config issue.
CTX is THE only way to roll out GP.

Cheers
Scott

I assume you mean the Dynamics.set file (which stores the location of the dictionaries and modified reports/forms)? These should all be local. If you share modified reports/forms, or dictionaries, you can run into corruption issues with these files. The dex.ini file only contains local information for the installation and no server specific information (no paths anyways). I have the SAME instlallation as the citrix servers (I have even gone so far as to copy the entire installation file to my laptop and ran it from that).

The only thing Great Plains uses to access the server is the ODBC connection. Until you select the ODBC, Great Plains is running everything locally and wouldn't know where the server is.

Great Plains was installed as were all of our other applications, by add/remove programs and then published to the users. All other applications are fine.

Yup dex.ini thats the one.
Is your network card set to auto-detect, did you add the chuck files etc by using change user /install etc, I always do just in case.
Normally it just works, in fact if we have 2 citrix servers in a farm we install the stuff on the first one and configure it to work. The do a basic install on other citrix server and then copy the whole directory to the other servers from the first one.

Another thought struck me you should be able to run it at the console and that is using NT rather than Citrix. If that is slow then it is the Win2K or whatever setup rather than Citrix.

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back