Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GRE tunnels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudddawg

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2001
US
I am on a fact finding mission. We currently have an internet connection through a cisco 1600 router. Which is plugged into a pix firewall. From there we go internal to a 3640 router. This 3640 serves as a hub to our network remote sites connected via frame relay, all using non-routable numbers.

I would like to take these remote sites and connect them using a internet connection(cheaper that commercial frame relay). I feel that GRE is a way that I might want to go. The problem is (I think) the pix.

The remote sites all have 2600 routers. Can I take and create a tunnel from the 2600 to the nat address on the pix(which points to an interface on my internal 3640)?

Whew! Thanks in advance

I think what you would want to do is setup a static on the pix to map to the the 3640 and pass all the GRE traffic from the remote sites (once they have internet connectivity).

Or you should be able to simply have the tunnels terminate on the PIX and then setup routes on the PIX to route correctly.

Hope this helps.
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back