Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GRE tunnel between 2 Cisco 837'S Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cisco222

Vendor
Jul 9, 2007
GB
local subnet 192.168.1.0/24
local subnet 192.168.2.0/24
The GRE tunnel should reside on 192.168.3.0/24 and the relevant routing between the routers.
This should allow a user on the 192.168.1.0 subnet to ping someone on the 192.168.2.0 subnet, via the DSL line. Thus creating a primitive VPN between the devices.

As i have never done this before please can someone give me some advise on how to go about this.

Thanks

I wouldn't use a GRE tunnel across the internet. You need to configure a true IPSEC vpn

The 837 supports SDM (free) and that has a deal called Easy VPN---sets up your VPN no problem.

Burt

Thank you for your propmt response, basically ive been asked to do this for like an assignment just to get to terms with the basic tuneling. In the real networking envoriment you would IPSEC right? Is this done on the cisco router or the firewall's?

Do you know of any webistes that can talk you through configuring ipsec?

Thanks

Also instead of using static routers, i will use rip v2 can you just confim if the following command are correct?
Router B
router rip
network 192.168.1.0 ( this is the addess of the LAN i want to advertise to )

Now login to the other router and use the same command but tpye in the LAN of the address i want to advertise to

router rip
network 192.168.2.0

Please Assist if possible.

Perhaps if you could give us more background into your situation and what problem you are trying to solve.

router rip
version 2
network 192.168.1.0 (mask optional)

This is the network you want to advertise, not advertise TO...
IPSEC is better than just a GRE tunnel, and can be done on a Cisco router with the right IOS, or a PIX/ASA or some other firewalls as well.

Burt

Too bad your dog is still eating your homework...lol
Great blog and explanations, by the way...

Burt

Heh yeah my dog has been eating my homework since I was a young knee high network enthusiast.

I hope the article helped. The diagrams are very poor in architecture I know but that is clearly due to my design skills (not network design skills).

GRE tunnels are much more neat in terms of configuration and human understandability. In addition to that it gives you a base for your troubleshooting (the interface) instead of having to go through debugs on standard IPSEC vpn phases.

I hope this helped anyways.

Cheers,
Mario A. Spinthiras
Nicosia , Cyprus
Blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back