Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphs created in Excel 2003 - lines not visible in Excel 2007 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelintheUK

Programmer
May 24, 2003
GB

Hello everyone

Apologies if this has been raised before.

I work for an organisation where the vast majority of staff use Office 2003 but senior staff, managers etc. use Office 2007.

I have to create a number of charts monitoring processes over time. In a recent example I sent a workbook containing 7 chart objects to various managers as an attachment. Suddenly I was getting messages asking where was the data.

The problem was when the workbooks were opended in Excel 2007 only 5 of the 7 line graphs actually showed any lines.

I raised with IT the problem I had of providing material for managers using Office 2003 while the recipients used Office 2007. I tried to point out the problem would get worse as the number of Office 2007 users increased.

IT came up with a "resolution" of the graph problem - "right click - change to a pie chart - right click - change to a line chart".

What a message to send to end users.

IT also said they had used Office 97 onwards and had had no problems with compatibility. I tried to tell them it could be different with Office 2007 but they said I was the only person who had raised it as an issue. Others have had experience of similar problems but have not get bothered to raise it as an issue with IT. Should I be concerned about an environment with a majority of Office 2003 set ups and a minority of more senior Office 2007 users?

Hi Michael,

I believe this probalem was fixed with Office 2007 SP1. Has your installation been updated?

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Thanks Macro

I will try and check this out. The problem is I have Office 2003 - it is the users/recipients who have Office 2007.

I will check it out as soon as I find the mysterious and less than ovious 2007 eqiuvalent of "help about..."

thanks

Hi Michael,

A number of Excel's charting problems only came to light when it was used in a mixed-version environment.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back