Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphics performance 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsgs

Instructor
Aug 22, 2008
Is it necessary to have a dedicated graphics card for using software like the latest versions of Photoshop and Quarkexpress?

In the same run would a desktop be better than a notebook?

The 2D ellements of programmes such as Photoshop and Quark can easily be satisfied by modern onboard graphics. However, that is not to say that an addon card is not useful as it will always free up resources even when not being used graphically so I tend to add them anyway if budget allows.
As for laptop versa's desktop 'performance'...this is a bit of a know brainer....the Desktop will always win by virtue of it's full power CPU, faster hard drive and memory types and better performance/price ratio overall. It really depends on how you intend to use your computer, wether it needs to be mobile and the limiting factor of laptop screen size (most graphic artists work with very large screens)
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Thanks for the reply Martin. In fact I currently have a laptop which I use both at work and at home. I want to change it. So I was considering either to take another laptop or get myself a netbook to use at work and a desktop for home use.

A dedicated graphics card adds a lot to the cost of a laptop. That's why I wanted to know if it was important. Now that I've got the answer, I'll be able to better consider the best choice for my budget.

Be warned Netbooks are pretty low spec, so if you want to run any sort of graphics work on these you are going to really struggle, so I'd aviod them. They are ok for word pro, web surfing and general day to day stuff, but little else.

The advantage of a desktop is expandibilty, but with decent UBS HDD's and built in DVD burners, this is less important to many people as it used to be.

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Thanks for the tip Sympology and thanks for the links Tony. Will check them out.

Decided to go for a desktop. Now in my country I don't have much choice available as to the hardware I can put in my PC. These are the specs that I've chosen.

Intel Q9400 processor
MSI P35 Neo mobo
2 x 2GB ddr2 RAM
250GB SATA hdd
Geforce 9600GT 512 PCI Express
Viewsonic 22" LCD
Nzxt Trinity Casing
Corsair Modular 620W PSU

Now all this is costing me $1200 and my budget is $900.

I'm a bit unsure as to how to reduce the cost. Your advice will be most welcome.

Questions:

1) Is it necessary to have a 620W PSU for such a configuration or will a standard 400-450W suffice?

2) Considering my requirements: office apps, publishing, graphics and animations, video conversion, programming, do i need 4GB RAM or will 2GB do? I intend using Windows XP Pro for the time being. Will perhaps upgrade to Win 7 later on.

3)What about Geforce 9400GT instead of 9600GT?

4)Is there any big difference between Q9400 and Q8200 processors?

Thanks in advance.

If $900 is the budget: Leave the ram....DDR2 800mhz is cheap as chips, so I don't suppose taking it down to 2gig will make much difference anyway.
Yup go for the 9400GT instead..
Yes there is a difference in processor performance but not as much as the price difference (Q8200 to Q9400) would suggest.
You could take the PSU down to 500watts but quality (something like an Antec Basiq 500) not generic.
Martin

However I would like to add, if you're using the 32bit version of XP then you're wasting at a minimum of 1gb, personally speaking I would look at using the 64bit OS anyway.

I would also look at going into a shop and dealing directly, there is always a better deal to be had dealing with a person than a website (I got a friend a saving of £200 by going into the shop with him).

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Martin, following your advice I'll downgrade to Q8200 and 9400GT. But Antec PSUs are not available in my country. The only alternative I have is iCute 650W PSU. I've done a search but didn't find any reviews on it. Are iCute PSUs ok?

Simon, I'll sure use 64bit OS. And the deal I've got is a direct one. In my country there's no online purchase option so we still have to rely on the shops downstreet. $1200 is the last price I've managed to get after discount.

Sorry mate...don't rate iCute PSU's at all...
Here are other good manufacturers options:
Enermax, Corsair, Seasonic, Thermaltake, Akasa, Coolermaster, FSP, Gigabyte, Hiper, OCZ, PC power and cooling, Jeantech, Tagan, Zalman.
Martin

Thanks Martin. Will take note of that.

Hi mate. Actually with a $900 budget you can have a nice set of computer. If I were you I would pay much attention to the Power Supply unit, as well as Motherboard and the CPU.

Since you go for Intel platform I would pay a little bit more money and buy a motherboard which supports RAID and has at least a P45/ICH10R chipset combination. Such a motherboard would cost around $130 from Gigabyte for instance. As it regards the graphics card as a minimum I would suggest the Nvidia 9800GT with 512MB, which costs around $100. Last but not least, the CPU should be at least a Core 2 Duo (the cheapest one I found is the E7400 which costs around $120). The power supply unit is very important for the stability of the whole computer. One of the best PSUs out there come from Seasonic. I would go for one with at least 600W for future use also, like the SeaSonic M12 SS-600HM which costs around $130. You shouldn't buy anything with less than 450W.

Well I hope I helped a little bit.

Joomla Websites & SEO ===

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back