Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphics Compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenshinHimura

Programmer
May 8, 2003
US
Yeah I'm making graphics in SCREEN 13. The tiles are all going to be 32x30x256 so 32 pixels wide, 30 pixels long and each pixel has a possibility of 256 different colors. Do you know of any good compression techniques that would work specifically with this kind of arrangment? Could you tell some good sites for compression techniques? THX :)

can you be more specific? i'm nearly drawing a blank from what you just asked. do you mean zipping the files? or saving them smaller? or maybe making them smaller when they're loaded in qb?

p.s. 32x30 is quite awkward. why not go a full 32x32?

Oh sry. Wat I meant was that they are 32x30 graphic sprites. That are going to be saved as a file. I was just wondering what some good compression techniques for that file were although not complex ones like zip files just plain and simple compression techniques like RLE compression or something. I was basically just asking ffor some simple compression techniques to see if anyone new of any good ones that can be done easily enough in qb although I think I'll just look some more round the net.

how about the compression used on abc packets?

do u have ne information on the compression technique or know where i can find some?

RLE is pretty simple and easy to do in QB, but only works well on simple images.

I have a small (and very basic) RLE tutorial/demo thing here, if you want it.

- Dav

I was actually looking for techniques to compress images other than RLE compression since I know that one. I was just wondering if there are any other simlpe enough compression methods. And about the RLE method would it be possible for me to store the repeating pattern as a 5-bit number instead of a full byte since me graphics are only 32x30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back