Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphics card/driver(s) upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikermann

Instructor
Jan 22, 2002
US
WIN XP Home; NVIDIA nForce 3 - did a hard drive wipe and reload, but the display issue (wavy screen when scrolling down, particularly on WordPerfect 12; not so much on remains; suspect it would be beneficial to upgrade my graphics card/drivers; any recommendations? Am not a gamer, just want something relatively fast for word processing/photo/Internet stuff.

Need more info?

Much appreciated.

Not your problem (upgrade) - you probably have NO graphics driver installed after the reload. Go into device manager and take a look. It will show as an unknown device as in the picture here.

How to get into Device Manager:
Go to your computer's support page and find the video driver download or give us the exact brand/model and we can point you to it.

Thanks for the replies. Well ... umm ... not quite certain how "lost" I am in this business, but here's the info I could come up; appears that even though some places I'm told I have nForce 3 installed, according to this it appears not to be the case ...
Time to start a'new? Many thanks.
================
Device Manager
Other Devices
? Network Controller
? Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
================
DxDiag:
SYSTEM:
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
Sys: ASUSTek Computer
Sys Model: K8N
Processor: AMD Sempron 2800+, MMX, 3eNow, ~1.6ghZ
Memory: 1536MB RAM
DISPLAY:
Manufacturer: n/a
Chip Type: n/a
DAC Type: n/a
Memory: n/a
Current Disp: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (1Hz)
Monitor: [Samsung]
DRIVERS:
Main Driver: vga.dll
Version: 5.01.2600.0000 (English)
Date: 2/28/2006
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Mini VDD: vga.sys
VDD: n/a
DDI Version: unknown
===================
MS System Info:
Summary System:
Display: [blank]

(Tek-Tips doesn't like TABS, huh....?)

In Device Manager, click on the unknown video adapter and go to the DETAILS tab. Post the "PCI\VEN......" string - the whole thing and we can figure out what device it is.

Also, what brand/model of computer is it or if home built, what does the brand/model on the motherboard say?

The chipset for the motherboard is an NForce3, but that chipset doesn't come with integrated video. You would need a discrete video card, most likely an AGP video card. AS Goombawaho says, if you post the vendor ID string, we can tell you what it is, and what driver to download.

I wasn't 100% sure about the mobo from the description given, but that info will get us the solution regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back