Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphically representing a schedule of activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcowen

Programmer
Oct 21, 2001
GB
I'm looking for advice on whether Javascript would be the best approach for a problem I'm trying to solve. I want to be able to graphically represent a schedule of activities. Each activity has various properties including a name and the number of days from the previous activity and these properties are in a XML file. In a browser I would like to display the activities as images with lines representing the relationships between each activity.

I think that JavaScript could manage this well but is there something better?

Matt

You're probably far better off getting some server-side charting / graphing library for whatever server-side language you can utilise (there should be many free ones out there).

If the graphs / charts are too complex, you might find JS too slow. Creating images server-side would be faster, and would work for people with no JS enabled.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back