Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphical reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMS100

Programmer
Oct 19, 2001
GB
I'm trying to display the contents of a field within an oracle database as a Pie chart using CR ver 8. The only possible values in the field are 15, 30 and 45, I would like CR to display each value as a % of the pie chart e.g. 70% of entries are equal to 45, 15% of entries are equal to 30 and so on. I'm sure this is very simple to do but I have no manuals (as I got a bit cocky and foolishly leant all my CR documentation to someone who I'm not going to see for months). If anyone could help me out it would be very much appreciated.

Are you saying that you wish only to chart on one field alone.

If so then "Insert" a chart, select the pie chart type, then move to the "Data" Tab. Make sure you select the "Advanced" button under the label "Layout". Enter the field in both the "On Change Of" and in the "Show Value" box using the > button...and off you go.

If as usual the value field has a description field attached to it, then apply the desc to the "On Change Of" and the Value field to the "Show Value"

To edit the chart either right click and return to the Chart Editor or right click and "Format" the chart. A third formatting option is to open the "analyser" view of the chart. From here you can select individual elements, drag them or right click and format each label etc.

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately, I have tried this and it seems no matter what info I place under the 'DATA' tab the pie chart displayed has no relevance to the field I'm pointing it to. As I said originally the field can have one of 3 values - 15,30 and 45 but the pie chart displayed is showing the values 1993, 1994 and 1995 with their % being nothing like the % I have manually worked out.

I have found the actual problem I'm having my CR on my PC will only display the chart correctly when printed but on my laptop it will display when I hit the Preview button. As far as I'm aware my laptop and PC are set up identically. Has anyone come across this before because if it cannot be solved I'm going to waste a lot of paper.

In general for v7 (I don't have v8 yet), I have always had "default" data appear in the design portion. This is the data you are referring to with 1993, 1994, etc. When you actually preview the data, the graph should contain the information you are seeking.

Also in version 7, the pie charts don't automatically calculate percentages. You'd have to create a formula to do that and then chart on the formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back