Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphic links, java menus, and text links question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilightmama

Technical User
Nov 12, 2002
US
I've designed a site that uses graphic links in the menu. I've often read that you should also provide text links for search engine spidering purposes and for those that view sites in the text-only format.

But here are my questions...

When a site is spidered, won't it read the a href in the code itself, whether or not it's attached to an image?

Also, if you use the "alt" attribute with your image, would not a text-only browser display that?

And lastly, if you are using a java menu which is linked to an outside javascript document, will that get spidered by search engines? On the last site I did, I used a javamenu like this so I included another text link menu at the bottom of each page just in case.

Lots of question, I know, but thanks in advance for your help and info.

Kim

Questions 1 & 2 are yes, your assumptions are correct. For the third, I'm not sure. I can't remember ever having a css or js file ever come up in the search results in any search engine, like they probably would if they were indexed, so I'd assume no, but I may be wrong.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back