Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphic file format converters 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akbryer

Programmer
Mar 25, 1999
US
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a graphic file format converter? I especially need to convert bit maps to gifs and jpegs.<br>
<br>
Thank you.<br>
<br>
<p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I use Adobe photoshop, whenever I design a website anyway...what do you use for graphic design, most graphic design programs also convert images. <p>John D. Saucier<br><a href=mailto:jsauce@net1plus.com>jsauce@net1plus.com</a><br><a href= Backup</a><br>

I haven't used any graphics design s/w yet. I just started learning html. Usually I find a graphic, scan a photo etc. I don't have a program that will convert a graphic file format.<br>
<br>
<p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thank you! <p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

There are several graphic re-formaters.<br>
I like Lview to view my graphics. It has limited reformatating<br>
Paint Shop Pro 6 is a must if you want to change any graphics, or re format<br>
which it will handle several different extentions. You can also make<br>
animations with the accomping program. (<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <br>
Always look under <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> for good software.

Thanks, Jim.<br>
<br>

<A HREF=" TARGET="_new">You'll find trial versions of <i>several</i> web-design related programs there; I especially like their .GIF animator ;) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

I find that Paint Shop Pro v.5.01 is an excellent tool for graphic conversion. It's relatively simple to use, is very powerful, and extremely affordable as compared to the PhotoShops and Corel Draws of the world.

A lot of teriffic suggestions and responses. That's one of the reasons I am becoming more and more dependent on tek-tips to help me. I also enjoy being able to help others with thier problems.<br>
<br>
Keep up the good work, it is appreciated.<br>
<br>

If you're still looking ;) I think I can spare you one of my (unopened) Adobe PhtoDeluxe 2.0 CDs; I'll give it to you for shipping cost ;) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

robherc,<br>
<br>
No brainer, this one. Just let me know who, what, when and where, and how you want payment (check, money order...).<br>
<br>
Very generous, and very appreciated.<br>
<br>
Good deeds do not go unrewarded!<br>
<br>
g- <p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I noticed that nobody mentioned using Microsoft Paint to convert a bitmap to a .gif or .jpeg file. If you're using Windows 95, 97, or 98, Paint is available from the Programs/Accessories menu. It's free, and you don't have to learn a whole new software package, although you do have to fool around with Paint. So if you need to get something done sooner rather than later, this might give you a quick solution. Use your edit menu to paste your image into the Paint file. Then do a save as and choose the desired format from the Save as Type dropdown menu.<br>

It seems to me that when I tried using paint, the available fileformats for saving are Bitmaps or monochrome. I'll check it again this evening. <p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> <br>
<br>
Good deeds do not go unrewarded!

In Win95 you can only save Paintbrush files as .bmp (bitmaps) or .pcx (PaintBrush) formats. In Win98 Paintbrush, you can do a little basic .GIF or .JPG/JPEG conversions. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

A realy worthwhile program to have is ACDSee 32. It is primarly a graphics viewer. You can view your graphics as thumbnails in it's browser or as a full sized image in the viewer. The package is free to download although I've registerd mine. I've been using for 2 yrs now and love. Oh yah, to answer your question, You can save or &quot;convert&quot; any picture you see to most other common file formats. enjoy<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p>Landis<br><a href=mailto:lreed@i-is.com>lreed@i-is.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanks again for the responses to my query. I've been introduced to a lot of options (can't have too many options in this business).<br>
<br>
Happy Holiday Season!<br>
<br>
<p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> <br>
<br>
Good deeds do not go unrewarded!

One more thing you might look at is Microsoft PhotoDraw 2000 (version 2). I think it is better then any other graphic tool, and it is designed specifically for web designers (I think). Also, if you are using FrontPage 2000, the two prgrams work GREAT together. AND you can get a trial version of PhotoDraw 2000 for just the shipping and handling (I believe it is a 45 day trial). <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:john@computerwiz.net>john@computerwiz.net</a><br><a href= Computerwiz Community</a><br>---==============================---<br>
I am currently working on It should be LIVE 1/12/00 or before. I would appreciate suggestions, comments and the like. Please go look and help. Thanks.<br>
---========================

For image viewing and limited editing I prefer VuePrint. The editing features are not extensive, however the viewing capabilities including a long list of file formats are impressive. For more extensive image editing I use Corel PhotoPaint. I found a script for Corel PhotoPaint that is very useful for resampling images for web pages. I published 55 photos, along with thumbnails, on one of my websites that I resampled.<br>
<br>
Has anyone else used VuePrint? <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
Bruce McD.

You might want to check to see if there's a newer version of iPhotoPlus out that'll allow .GIF saving and animiating; if so, then I'd give it my highest possible recommendation based on my experience with version 2.0 <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back