Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphic display quality 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave755

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
US
I have an application that is generating graphics on the fly from user input and database content. There is an issue involving the quality of the displayed image.

** If I save the image as a [blue]BMP[/blue], it looks great but the image is 1650Kb and loads slowly.
** If I save the image as a [blue]JPG[/blue], the file is only 26Kb, but it looks awful - grainy and with those "halo" effects that JPG's are famous for.
** If I save the image as a [blue]GIF[/blue], it is also a small file, but all the colors come out dithered and it really does not look the way it should.

Suggestions?

Dave Gee

You can try a .PNG file, but some browsers (IE, mostly) have difficulties displaying them if the .png file uses some of the more obscure features of the PNG format.

Chip H.

The PNG format works great. Thank you.

Dave Gee

chiph: Good point. We have abandoned *.png (except as an option) Too many computers for various reasons cannot display *.png images - we found in our survey that up to 1 in 5 computers could not display them (just a random survey at a local Univeristy).

I can actually help someone here! Awsome.

I can fix your GIF issue but it'll take some convicing to get a web host to run your code (it uses 'unsafe' methods).

If you are interested and wish to know more post back and I'll post library I used on my server and run you through a quick demo.

Yet another unchecked rambling brought to you by:
Oddball

Thanks for the offer, Oddball. I think I will wait and see before jumping through that hoop.

This application has a very limited audience (fewer than a dozen individuals). It seems that there is a good possibility that I will be able to get away with PNG files.

FYI: the graphics are created using GDI+ functions. Nothing too fancy, just lines, rectangles, pie slices, and text. The server is IIS - either localhost running on WinXP Pro or remote running Win2003 Server.

Dave Gee

Your problem is with the colour pallet that the GDI+ libraries use to quantize your image into a GIF.

There's a big science grown up arround quantizing images - with any number of long words and formulas involved.

The only one you really need, though, is Octree Quantizer. I can provide the classes for you and if you're running your own servers (and have control of the security policies) then you won't have any problems.

I use these classes for meanial things like rendering chamfer boxes to make my pages look good (boxes with rounded corners) and for making text on the fly with non-standard fonts.

Yet another unchecked rambling brought to you by:
Oddball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back