Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphic Card Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someonehere

Technical User
Jan 21, 2003
DE
Hi there!! I would like to ask you about my graphic card. It's 4 MB and it's not enough to see some AVI clips, the sound goes faster than the video. How can I use some of the RAM (128 MB) to increase the video memory? I remember that's possible, but I cannot remember how to do it :)

Thanks for your time,
John S.

Hi John,

A couple of things occur to me:
If your graphics card uses shared memory to begin with then the amount of system memory that it shares can be adjusted (within limits) in the bios. However video cards that operate in this way are slow because they have no dedicated memory of their own.
If the card has 4mb of it's own memory then I don't think this can be extended using system resoures. Besides who would want to as increasing the memory will not do much to increase the speed of a video clip, a better graphics chip or cpu is what you want.
Graphics card memory is used as a frame buffer and texture storage area, if you find slow video it probably won't be affected much by increasing video memory.
Bottom line is upgrade the whole card not just the memory.

Will.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try first via software if maybe the problem consist of finding a better program to watch this clips. If it fails, I'll have to look for a nother graphic card.

Thanks for your help Will.

Best regards,
John S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back