Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

granting sysdba rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyck

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
Hello,

Is it possible to grant sysdba rights to a user so that they can make changes on select databases and not other ones?

Nyck,

I believe that we are encountering the classic Oracle nomenclature problem here. As we have discussed in other threads, there are two very different definitions for "database" in the Database Universe:

In the Oracle World, "database" refers to all of the objects (e.g., tables, indexes, et cetera) owned by all of the Oracle user/schemas (e.g., "SYS", "SYSTEM", "DBSNMP", "OUTLN", "<your login>", "<my login>", et cetera) that make up a single Oracle installation.

In the Non-Oracle World, "database" is roughly equivalent to an Oracle user/schema, for example, for a single Oracle instance/installation, there may be 30 Oracle user/logins/schemas. That would mean if the same "logical" structure existed in a Sybase, SQL Server, DB2, MySQL, EnterpriseDB, et cetera installation, then the installation would contain 30 "databases".

So, when you ask,
Nyck said:
Is it possible to grant sysdba rights to a user so that they can make changes on select databases and not other ones?
...are you using the Oracle or the non-Oracle definition of "database"?

If you are using the Oracle definition of "database", then we need to know more information such as "To what operating system does your question apply?" (The response differs depending on whether you are using Windows or a *nix system.)

If you are using the non-Oracle definition of "database", then the answer to your question is "No".

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back